Tuesday, March 25, 2008

the longest winter

yesterday i slipped on a snowbank
and slid underneath my boyfriend's car
as i was attempting entry.
i landed on my bottom
and my head smacked hard
into (thankfully) soft snow.

i just laid there, laughing and crying,
kind of confused as to how one can go from standing
to being on the ground so quickly.

getting into and out of a car
on the passenger side in winter
is challenging and requires a certain level of skill
that obviously i don't always posses.

other than that, it's winter as usual.
oh wait, the first day of spring was last week.
it's a bit hard to tell through the piles of snow
that fell that day and the following two.

i'm finding some spring here and there.
today i resumed my compost pile,
throwing into the yard and not into the trash
my orange rind and a grapefruit that went bad.

i also recently bought a maple tree that will be
ready to be picked up the first weekend of may!
i'm gathering up my garden seeds
and shopping for a new bicycle.
just in case spring arrives.
you never know.

-nicole

3 comments:

  1. that's pretty funny. mostly because you didn't get hurt. when it's icy and slippery around here, we don't get snow to cushion our falls. of course, it's rarely icy at all.

    i'll try to push some spring weather from down here to up there for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a maple tree?! that's terribly cool. you've got room in your yarn for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, ha ha. Ouch ...

    It's a mixture of emotions.

    Take a little of the coming summer heat.

    Wow, I'll be there in a month, neat!

    I am so late commenting because I didn't have Internet last week.

    This is a very annoyingly written comment.

    ReplyDelete