Tuesday, September 25, 2007

i love me some food

i just looked at my recent grocery receipt
and there's a line printed that tells me
that out of the $48.81 that i spent,
$32.23 was spent on local products/companies.

sustainable agriculture is exciting to me.
grocery shopping is really fun but it always takes me forever
because a lot of factors go into each item in my cart.
besides just deciding what the heck i need to buy
there are other questions.
where is this item sourced?
does it contain trans-fat? high-fructose corn syrup? preservatives?
do i pay extra for local/organic?
when an item is available as local or organic but not both,
which is best? (my current answer is usually local.)
how was this animal treated before
part of it ended up in this package i'm holding?

i compare different brands of the same item
to see if one is more nutritious that the other.
what if the healthier item isn't local?
this one has more vitamin a, this one more fiber, hmm....

i can easily spend an hour in the store,
just shopping for one silly person
but i really enjoy the process and view it as
an opportunity to learn.

groceries!

-nicole

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. I like to be able to do that. But sadly, it's really tough to be anything but slightly less evil here. Hopefully it won't always be that way, though. Something is usually just better about eating that way. It's very tangible. Maybe it's mental, but I think it's real. Healthy eating really does taste better, at least a lot of times. And a clean conscience helps a lot.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete