Sunday, September 16, 2007

i'm sailing!

i''ve been stopping on my bike ride home from work
to do some swinging on swings
at lake calhoun.

i only swing on the chilly days,
when there's no one else around
just a few sailboats on the lake
and the occasional passing jogger.

i enjoy the solitude,
music in my ears
singing out loud.
the breeze blows through
my growing-out hair,
flowing back and forth.

i remove my sunglasses
to let all the sunlight in,
reminding myself to enjoy it now
it will be hard to find soon.

i decided it would be fun to leave a sailboat
on the lake all through fall and into winter
so that it freezes into the lake.
i imagine a bundled-up someone
walking across the lake and climbing into their sailboat,
putting their feet up and just enjoying the afternoon,
going nowhere.

-nicole

7 comments:

  1. Is that subject line a reference to What About Bob? ? (double question mark score!) Because that's what it made me think of.

    That does sound fun, though it might break the boat or something? (water freezing and expanding... I dunno)

    ReplyDelete
  2. heck yes, gregor, my subject line is a what about bob? reference. i think of that scene often, for some reason.

    the boat might break. i'm just going to leave that out of my imagining. in this pretend world it's a super-wonder-winter-boat and quite indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet! *high five* one of my favorite movies ever.

    sorry to rain on the imagining parade, I forgot to consult the rules first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if need be i can send you a copy of "nicole's rules of imagining." just let me know. and thanks for the high five. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's an absolutely fantastic idea! you could also ice fish from your boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the boat breaks, it won't sink until the ice melts, anyway!

    That sounds like one of the coolest ideas ever. ha.

    Does that make you a sail out?

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, one would definitely would need to do some ice fishing from the sailboat. and make lots of chatter about being on the open seas. maybe some pirate chatter, too.

    ReplyDelete